Skip to main content

No Gold Star for You

Every so often, I enjoy store-bought breakfast cookies with my morning coffee. When I was growing up, my parents would occasionally buy a certain brand of Italian-style breakfast treats. How I loved them. The soft anise flavored sponges and the S-shaped cookies were my favorites. They still are.

Today, I decided to indulge in these cookies. Earlier than usual this morning, I headed out to my local really big super duper store to fill my tummy with some of the cookies I knew since childhood. After only finding four types of cookies made by that certain brand, they came home with me.

As the cookies rested on the table, coffee beans whirred in the grinder. Hot water mingled with the oils, filling my kitchen with that warm, intoxicating coffee aroma.

Wanting to satiate my Italian-style cookie craving, I began to cut the plastic coverings. When I grabbed the anise flavored sponges, my heart sank. Short of time and without thinking, I had put my trust in my really big super duper store and just grabbed. To my dismay, the company stamped date said that the cookies were two months old.

I figured it had to be a mistake. There was no way really big super duper store could have kept these cookies on their shelves for this long. Upon further package inspection, I found no customer service number for the NC-based company. After all, they were bought by a larger snack making company. Fortunately, their website had a number.

The lady on the other end of the phone was nice enough. She told me that there were no printing mistakes on their packages. It was the store’s problem—they probably kept them in the back all that time—and I should simply bring the cookies back. No apologies.

Well, I had no intentions of eating two months old cookies. But, the other cookies had decent dates. The coffee had finished brewing and my tummy grumbled for cookies.

I placed one of each of the remaining cookies on my plate, then filled my mug full of dark, steaming deliciousness. The first bite of my S-shaped cookie disappointed my tastebuds. I found myself washing the cookies down with my coffee instead of having the cookies compliment my coffee. The cookies tasted burnt.

After finishing my first cup of coffee, I loaded my expensive brand cookies in the car. Two miles later, a woman in a blue vest handed me back my money.

Across the street from really big super duper store is local independent grocery store. Inside the older designed store, a little bit of everything graces their shelves. I found another cheaper brand of Italian-style cookies. Glancing at the package, the dates were great. The company makes its cookies in Brooklyn, so I decided to take a chance.

When I got home, I refilled my mug and my plate. The new cookies delighted my tastebuds. I discovered some new favorite store-bought Italian-style cookies. Next time I want to indulge, I will avoid the long-standing brand cookies that I have always gotten and purchase these new found cookies.

Bottom line: Sure, I placed my trust in companies to not sell me outdated food. I should have been more vigilant in my reading of poorly printed dates, but that does not give companies a pass.

Companies need to be on top of their products, whether they are the producers or the sellers. When they disregard the consumer, they go from a gold star company to one made of lead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Begin Anew

A lot has happened since I’ve neglected this blog.  The biggest change, however, has been within myself. It’s been two months since my mom passed.  Sometimes, it feels as though it happened yesterday, while other times, it feels as if that day was so long ago.  I realized that I have been numb for many months.  Since maybe October or September or perhaps longer than that. I posted an account of my mom’s battle on my author blog . The business of dying weighs on the living, on the surviving, as if the entirety of the hourglass sands dumped on you.  There’s the funeral, the casket, the cemetery plot, the headstone, the obituary, the ordering of death certificates.  Then, taking her name off of things, most of which needed to wait until the state mailed the death certificates.  Yes, plural.  You have to give them places like the bank and registrar of deeds. Doing all this stuff takes a long time.  And then, there’s the matter of telling the stranger on the other line what

Debate Dichotomy

Gary Johnson is not allowed to participate in the debate tonight. I honestly think that both parties are afraid of his political allure. I don’t think the debates between Obama and Romney are that important. It’ll be the same ol’ same old crap we’ve been hearing over and over from both of them. However, if Gary Johnson were included, then the debates would matter. Different ideas would be heard. Discourse might actually happen in this country. We need to change the dialogue. The media gatekeepers perpetuate this stale rhetoric. Our ears are tired of being filled with the load of nothingness. Too many of us have turned our backs. Too many of us have said that there is nothing we can do. This is simply not true. We can do something. The Constitution gives us the right of peaceful assembly. In this digital age, assembly may need to take place on the internet. Open a dialogue in which everyone can participate. It is time we no longer feel powerless. Our votes do cou

Fight or Flight

Mid East violence has hit a new high against the US. Flags burn. Embassies and consulates are being attacked. At least one diplomat is dead. Anti-American chants reverberate through the streets. At what point do we bring our people home? Humans have retained basic survival instincts since the beginnings of humanity—fight or flight. Both of these actions increase our chance of survival. What does not is just sticking around for the heck of it. In these highly violent areas, we are neither fighting nor fleeing. Sure, we shut down the embassy in Indonesia. But why are we allowing these sorts of attacks? Workers in the embassies or consulates are innocent civilians. Most do not even have proper military defense for these little bits of America in foreign lands. Declaring war is not a feasible option. We simply do not have the resources to attack an entire string of nations after our three “wars” (including our involvement in Libya). Nor do we have the stomach to sustain a lon